Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Conte Collectibles "French Foreign Legion" 1880-1908

            Once again, it's been a long time since my last post.Becoming a father is the most beautiful thing
but also, as it is expected , has changed radically the time schedule of my life.I spend all of my time to this  little and fragile creature and enjoy watching it learning something new every day! I'm looking forward to
the day that  she will grab a pen and starts to mess this place up!!!

         For now, I'm trying to find some time, late at night, to enjoy some painting or researching....

         With this post I will continue with  my older creations.These figures are painted sometime during 2011.
 At this point  I  would like  to  thank  all  these  friends  that  trusted  their  figures  to  me  and  gave me  the
 opportunity to work with periods and uniforms that I couldn't imagine at that time!!

        So, let's see what we' ve got here...

The Research

French Foreign Legion is an army established at 1831 and fought mostly in French colonial wars but also in WWI and II. Lots of changes have been made in uniform during the years and wars.By checking the uniform and equipment of the "Conte" figures, I concluded that these are soldiers fought in Northern Africa during 1880-1910.


 
 
    

       The pictures above show uniforms from  Morocco and Algeria and are most similar to the figures.
There were also red trousers worn during that period from the Legionnaires but I painted all the soldiers
 in white and only the officers in red.


The Figures

        I like these figures very much! Excellent faces and expressions.Very nice detail and very accurate
 in uniform and equipment.Even though my painting skill was not so advanced at that time, I really like
 the outcome. The only problem  I had with these figures was the mould lines.Fortunately, there was no
 mould lines in the faces!

 
        Here you can see the mould lines in one figure and below you can see some pictures of the finished
 project.






             This was my favorite project at that time, and I will paint it again in the future for my collection.

             Thank you for reading this post and I hope you enjoyed another small journey in the world of
painted miniatures. I would be very happy if this can be of  help to anyone who wants to paint a similar
or the same project.


            ........... 'till next time...See ya!!




   
       
 







6 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your fatherhood.. one year due! :D I agree, becoming a father is a unique and beautiful experience; I have a daughter - she is a woman now (I´m an old guy :) )
    These minis are all excellent, but let me say that the sleeping soldiers are really top notch - perfect!!! The mould lines are not perceptible on the painted figs - great job!!!! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for your comment and your wishes!! My friend, no one is getting old
      while he is still "playing" with toy soldiers!!! I see a lively young spirit in your blog:))
      Keep up the fun!!!
      The mould lines was a "total resculpting" for these figures. I'm happy to see that my work
      is visible (or not visible;)) here...

      Regards, George.

      Delete
  2. Stunning. I would also like to paint these miniatures. Where do you buy the Legion?

    Thank you

    Abraham

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for your comment Abraham!You are welcome to join my blog also! I 've painted these figures a long time a go as a commition.I believe that if you search a little bit on ebay you will find them in a nice price!I've made a quick search myself and there's nothing at the moment, but sooner or later you'll find something.I hope that helps;-)

      Regards, George

      Delete
  3. Could you say if FFL 54mm figures are available now?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No my friend, this was a commission many years ago..But if you want me to paint some for you, I can search and see what I can find..

      Delete